Wednesday, February 3, 2010

History of the Internet & Information Age

Yesterday was the first day of MGSC 300. I think this will be an interesting class, although it might be a bit repetitive since I just finished ACTG 439 (Accounting Info Systems) over Interterm. I'm glad that I already have experience with using MS Access and Excel so hopefully the projects and cases we do in class won't be that difficult for me. I'm a little bit worried about the technology reports and the fact that I have to be prepared to present everyday, but I guess I'll just have to try my best.

We started talking about the history of the Internet and the Information Age. I have never really researched the Internet, even though I use it for several hours everyday. Prof. Tuggle talked about Packet Switching Networks - he used an example that when you send an e-mail from one place to another, your message is split up into tiny packets and sent separately on the Internet. The packets are put together and the e-mail is received; although packets may travel different paths. This was extremely interesting to me. E-mail is used so widely and frequently these days that no one really considers how their message is actually transmitted. I know that I take for granted how much work goes into creating an e-mail network. Technology has improved so much over the last few decades that this complicated process can be completed in just a few seconds.

Prof. Tuggle also talked about the birth of the Internet in 1969. One interesting fact that I picked up was that the first Internet connected only to a four-node network based within UCLA, Stanford Research Institute, UCSB and the University of Utah. Almost 30 years later, in 1996, there were over 6.5 million nodes and 100,000 websites! I still remember the days of dial-up connections and the early days of high-speed Internet, back when I was in elementary school! Today, the Internet is everywhere and people can connect to the Internet instantaneously through WiFi.

1 comment:

  1. Jennifer:
    Yes, there will be some overlap (hopefully not too much) between this course and Dr. Dehning's.

    You will come to find that often the daily technology news reports are the best things that happen in class--even (or especially!) when you do one!

    Glad you enjoyed the mini-history lesson. There will more history from time to time, and this from a guy who hates history!

    ReplyDelete