Thursday, February 25, 2010

Ch. 3 - Computer Peripherals

On Tuesday, we learned about computer peripherals, which is a generic name for all input, output, and secondary storage devices that are part of the computer system but are not part of the CPU. Some common input devices include the keyboard, mouse, touchpad and touchscreen. We learned about the Graphical User Interface (GUI) versus the Command Line Interface. I am extremely grateful that someone created WIMP because I think I would have gone crazy trying to remember the exact names of all my files and subfolders under CLI. I wonder how long it took to create WIMP and how technologically immersed the team must have been to be able to come up with something like that. I wouldn't even know where to start.

We also learned about computer storage fundamentals, such as the difference between the bit (smallest element of data) and the byte (group of eight bits). Prof. Tuggle gave a few examples of the differences in representation between EBCDIC and ASCII, which was pretty mind-boggling. I think I will have to spend more time trying to understand that. We also spent a lot of time talking about storage options, such as magnetic tape, floppy disks, semiconductor memory, and solid state devices. Tonight we are going to start learning about software, and so far I am actually finding these discussions pretty interesting because I like learning about computers and finding out how they operate.

1 comment:

  1. Jennifer:

    The information on hardware, software, telecommunications and networks, and data systems are all absolutely fundamental to understanding computers, IT, and IS--one alone doesn't cut it, you've got to understand everything. Be patient a little, because all the parts do ultimately fit together into a coherent, albeit complex, whole....

    Doug

    ReplyDelete